Celebrating 50 Years of Literacy
In celebration of our 50th anniversary in 2014, we did some digging in our archives and elsewhere... the book below is the result! We hope you'll celebrate with us some of the many amazing students, volunteers, and others who have been part of the Literacy Advance story since 1964.
Heartfelt thanks to all who have given their time, their talent, and their treasure over the first 50 years to make Literacy Advance what it is today. Your donations will support the next generation of students and the next 50 years - please give today!
In addition to the MANY amazing people who have supported us over the years, just some of whom appear in the pages above, we couldn't have completed this project without:
Thank you, Sumeeta, for your journeys around Houston, your willingness to dive into MANY dusty files, and all the other investigative journalism you did to uncover some of Literacy Advance's secrets!
Thank you, Kat, for all your graphic design work putting our history into this beautiful format! Thanks also for your patience as we brought the final 10% to completion.
Click on the image above for details.
- 175 adult students took reading classes (Adult Basic Education, or ABE)
- 1,165 adult students took English classes (English as a Second Language, or ESL)
- 770 classes of all types (reading + English + supplemental)
- 99% of students made progress toward a life goal
- 260 volunteer tutors
- 10 Family Literacy Events
- 850 Family Literacy attendees
- Over 2,000 new books given out to kids
- 600+ check-in phone calls made in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey