Bay Area Program Coordinator
Literacy Advance seeks to hire a skilled professional to serve as Bay Area Program Coordinator.
This position is available immediately.
The mission of Literacy Advance of Houston is to transform lives and communities through the doorway of literacy. Considered the premier agency for community-based literacy programs in Houston, Literacy Advance helps adults read, write, communicate, and understand English to enable them to succeed in the workplace, in school, and in the community.
Literacy Advance offers basic reading classes, basic English classes, Transition services, and Family Literacy activities, which are supported by trained volunteers. Literacy Advance serves learners and their families, supports volunteers in tutoring and non-tutoring roles, and manages classes at its main location in west Houston, as well as at satellite sites in Clear Lake and Brookshire.
Established in 1964 by a small group of dedicated volunteers, Literacy Advance is a United Way of Greater Houston agency, an accredited affiliate of ProLiteracy and the Houston Center for Literacy, and a member of Literacy Texas and the Better Business Bureau. For more information about Literacy Advance and its programs, please explore this website or find us on Facebook.
Job description summary
Based in the United Way of Greater Houston’s Bay Area Center, the Program Coordinator is an integral part of the Literacy Advance Programs team and works independently with volunteers and students.
Success in this role relies on the Coordinator's ability to respond to the day-to-day needs of learners and tutors within the wider agency context, and staying in close communication with the Bay Area Program Manager regarding procedures, processes, and policies. This position requires a person with energy, creativity, sensitivity, and dedication to helping adult learners develop the literacy skills they need to become self-succifident.
A high school diploma, or an equivalent thereof, is required, and a minimum of two to three years of experience in a professional office setting. Excellent customer service skills, including the ability to communicate calmly, professionally, and in a friendly and welcoming manner with persons of all ages and from a wide variety of countries and cultures, are necessary to be successful in this position. The ability to communicate using elementary Spanish is preferred.
This position reports to the Bay Area Program Manager and works closely with the Volunteer Coordinator and Academic & Transition Services Director.
The Bay Area Program Coordinator has the following responsibilities:
• Provide a friendly, safe, and supportive environment for volunteers and students, both current and prospective,
• Provide office support, including answering phones, directing visitors, receiving and distributing daily mail,
• Act as one of the primary contacts for all Bay Area students, tutors, and volunteers,
• Provide ongoing classroom support to tutors and volunteers, - administer tests; ensure tutors have access to appropriate classroom resources; ensure classrooms are functional, tidy, and well stocked with relevant supplies;
• Conduct Student Registration sessions and assessments according to Literacy Advance policies and procedures,
• Carry out all forms of student communications - in person; telephone; email; as well as contributing to wider forms of student communication, such as web-based communication and student announcements;
• Keep bulletin boards up to date with pictures and announcements,
• Provide student success stories, outcomes and summaries for reporting,
• Keep records of the usage of tutoring resources, including Tutor Loan sets, classroom curriculum and other resources kept in stock for short-term loan by tutors,
• Become an efficient user of Literacy Advance's internal programs database, Efforts to Outcomes (ETO) for consistent data entry of attendance, assessments, goal setting and survey results,
• Communicate day-to-day activity and concerns, successes and other details of program delivery at the Bay Area though communication with Bay Area Program Manager and monthly reporting,
• Contribute to the overall development of programs and services, including communicting to the Bay Area Program Manager any recommendations for changes, updates, or other improvements,
• Participate in discussion and reporting on progress, trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions, including agency Continuous Quality Improvement efforts,
• Demonstrate pro-actie approach to continuously learning about adult and family literacy and keeping abreast of new information in the field,
• Participate in Literacy Advance learner/volunteer events and community events as needed,
• Participate in staff meetings and professional development opportunities,
• Perform other duties as required or requested.
Salary, Hours & Benefits
This is a part-time (up to 25 per week), non-exempt position based at our United Way Bay Area office location in Clear Lake.
This position is not eligible for health and dental benefits or PTO accruals.
Regular evening work will be required.
Visits to our Wilcrest office (west Houston) will be required, and reliable transportation is also necessary, with mileage and expenses reimbursed according to agency policy guidelines.
Send résumé and cover letter describing your qualifications (including your Spanish-speaking abilities) as follows.
No phone calls please.
Our apologies, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Click on the image above for details.
- 175 adult students took reading classes (Adult Basic Education, or ABE)
- 1,165 adult students took English classes (English as a Second Language, or ESL)
- 770 classes of all types (reading + English + supplemental)
- 99% of students made progress toward a life goal
- 260 volunteer tutors
- 10 Family Literacy Events
- 850 Family Literacy attendees
- Over 2,000 new books given out to kids
- 600+ check-in phone calls made in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey