Literacy Advance is seeking an intern at our Wilcrest location to support our Adult Basic Education (ABE), English as Second Language (ESL) and Supplemental Class programs, along with the volunteer tutors who deliver them. The intern will assist with the coordination and management of our literacy programs to ensure program quality and performance related to learner recruitment, screening, assessment, matching, monitoring, and support.
Literacy Advance is committed to providing additional experiences and professional development. Examples of possible learning opportunities include Board Development, Community Outreach, Fiscal Management, Grants Management, Volunteer Management, Program Planning, and Information Systems Management, the Historical Foundations of Nonprofits, Management Theory, Staff Management, Risk Management, Ethical Practice, Diversity Awareness, and additional topics according to availability and the intern’s interests and self-guided learning process.
Specific duties may include:
- Work with the Program Team to coordinate day-to-day volunteer tutor and learner activity – attendance; dissemination of information; class scheduling; tutor placement; and on-going volunteer support;
- Help maintain and develop relations within the Adult Literacy community;
- Represent the student perspective in internal and external discussions;
- Assist with New Student Registration and assessment;
- Collect and enter data, compile reports, and assist in accurate record keeping;
- Plan and assist with learner/volunteer events;
- Participate in staff meetings and other professional development opportunities;
- Contribute to the overall development of programs and services;
- Other duties and activities as assigned and/or requested.
Qualities and Qualifications:
- A mature and confident demeanor;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with a high level of competence;
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
NOTE: Previous work experience in a fast-paced environment is highly desirable, and bilingual ability in English and Spanish would be helpful, but is not necessary.
Please send a resume and cover letter to:
No phone calls please.
Click on the image above for details.
- 175 adult students took reading classes (Adult Basic Education, or ABE)
- 1,165 adult students took English classes (English as a Second Language, or ESL)
- 770 classes of all types (reading + English + supplemental)
- 99% of students made progress toward a life goal
- 260 volunteer tutors
- 10 Family Literacy Events
- 850 Family Literacy attendees
- Over 2,000 new books given out to kids
- 600+ check-in phone calls made in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey