Literacy Advance Programs
At the core of our activities are these two types of classes, aimed at Houston area adultss:
All classes are led by trained volunteer tutors, who get involved because they want to give back to their community and help their neighbors. We are very grateful to them!
The majority of classes take place at our main location (Wilcrest Campus, in west Houston) and our satellite sites (Literacy Advance Bay Area, in Clear Lake, and our newest satellite site in the Waller County United Way Service Center). However, we also have growing Outreach activities, through which we are able to partner with Houston-area organizations and agencies to provide literacy classes at their locations.
Our Family Literacy activities are part of Outreach.
In addition to basic literacy classes, we offer a variety of supplemental classes, on a variety of topics. Any registered adult student, including those on the wait-list, can take part in these classes. Topics are chosen to supplement what the students are learning in the main class, and cover topics like computer literacy, resume-writing, practical conversation, and more.
For more information about our programs and classes, you could:
Click on the image above for details.
- 140 adult students learning to read and write (ABE)
- 1,500 adult students learning to speak and understand English (ESL)
- 52,800 total learning hours across all programs
- 23,000+ hours of service donated by volunteers
- 17 Family Literacy events at schools and community centers
- 1,900 Family Literacy attendees
- 3,000 children’s books distributed free to families and kids
- 99% of learners achieved or made progress toward a personal goal