Free Training Opportunity for Tutors
Registration closing soon!
Saturday, April 28, 2018, 8am - 4pm,
Pearland ISD building, Pearland
Back for its third year, this symposium has been created with YOU in mind. There are hundreds of dedicated volunteer tutors across the Gulf Coast region and this symposium is designed to help you be the best tutor you can be and help your students even more than you do now.
The schedule this year is divided into four tracks; you can choose to follow one track throughout the day or to mix and match. We have renowned presenters from across the region sharing their expertise - don't miss out!
Ready to register? Click here! Not sure yet? Read on...
Track 1: ABE
- Phonics and Beyond: Word Attack Skills for Adult Learners
- Transitions to High School Equivalency: Preparing ABE Students for HSE
- No Money, No Honey! Life is Sweet with Financial Management Skills
- Teaching Reading is Harder Than I Thought! What Literacy Teachers Need to Know
Track 2: ESL
- Using "Information Gap" in the ESL Classroom
- Making Classes Practical and Skills-Based
- Have Fun With Vocabulary!
- The Active ESL Classroom
Track 3: General Tutoring
- Linking YOU to the World @ Houston Public Library
- Selecting the Best Materials for Your Class
- More From Students, Less From Teacher: Bringing Out the Best in Your Students
- Final session: Choose from ABE or ESL tracks (see above)
Track 4: Program Administration
- The Basics of Program Evaluation
- Recruit, Train, Retain: Using Volunteers in Your Literacy Program
- Building Your Literacy Program Around Student Persistence
- Clear and to the Point: The Importance of Using Plain Language
There'll be free breakfast starting from 8am, and a free lunch, in addition to wonderful training and the opportunity to network.