Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs – Volunteering in Other Ways
- What are the requirements to be a Literacy Advance volunteer?
- What kind of volunteer opportunities are available to me?
- What will my time commitment be as a volunteer?
- How will I find out about new volunteer opportunities?
- How can I get started?
Volunteers should be 16 years of age or older - 18 if working with an adult class - and Literacy Advance may ask that you consent to a criminal background check (at no cost to the volunteer). Volunteers working with Literacy Advance files or data will be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Fundraising Event Helper: help before or at fundraising events, such as Scrabble in the City;
- Family Literacy Helper: assist at Family Literacy events at local schools and libraries;
- Family Literacy Presenter: give, in either English or Spanish, the Literacy Advance presentation to parents, about the importance of literacy for children - training provided for this opportunity;
- Administrative Help: data entry, filing, covering the front desk, similar office work (mainly at our main location in west Houston);
- Literacy Ambassador: help spread the word about the literacy need in Houston and what Literacy Advance is doing to address it by connecting us with interested people;
- Student Registration Leader: lead registration sessions for new students entering the program for the first time (training, script, and materials all provided).
What will my time commitment be as a volunteer?
All of our volunteer opportunities are very flexible. You can set your own schedule and decide as new opportunities come up whether to get involved. Regular volunteer commitments are appreciated but not required!
How will I find out about new volunteer opportunities?
The Literacy Advance e-News is sent out to registered volunteers around the first of each month, and contains information about new opportunities and volunteer needs. Any time you see something that interests you, please contact us for more information or to get involved!
You can also check our website any time for new opportunities.
How can I get started?
Request more information about being a Literacy Advance Volunteer (including a sign-up form), or contact our Volunteer Manager at 713.266.8777 or email@example.com.