Volunteer Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the requirements to be a Literacy Advance volunteer?
- What kind of volunteer opportunities are available to me?
- What will my time commitment be as a volunteer?
- How will I find out about new volunteer opportunities?
- How can I get started?
Volunteers should be 16 years of age or older and Literacy Advance may ask that you consent to a criminal background check (at no cost to the volunteer). Volunteers working with Literacy Advance files or data will be asked to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- Student Registration Leader: Lead registration sessions for new students entering the program for the first time (training, script, and materials all provided).
- Administrative Help: Front desk cover; data entry, filing, similar office work;
- Community Representative: Attend community fairs and other events on behalf of Literacy Advance; talk to attendees and give out literature;
- Family Literacy Helper: Assist at Family Literacy events at one of our three sites;
- Family Literacy Presenter: Give, in either English or Spanish, the Literacy Advance presentation to parents, about the importance of literacy for children - training provided for this opportunity;
- Literacy Ambassador: Be active on our social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn); help spread the word about the literacy needT in Houston and what Literacy Advance is doing to address it by connecting us with interested people.
What will my time commitment be as a volunteer?
All of our volunteer opportunities are very flexible. You can set your own schedule and decide as new opportunities come up whether to get involved. Regular volunteer commitments are appreciated but not required!
How will I find out about new volunteer opportunities?
Opening Doors, the Literacy Advance e-Newsletter, is sent to registered volunteers around the first of each month, and contains information about new opportunities and volunteer needs. Any time you see something that interests you, please contact us for more information or to get involved!
You can also check our website any time for new opportunities.
How can I get started?
Request more information about being a Literacy Advance Volunteer (including a sign-up form), or contact our Volunteer Manager at 713.266.8777 or firstname.lastname@example.org.